The Pevensey Bay Sea Defence scheme is unique. It is the only sea defence project anywhere in the world to be funded as a Public Private Partnership (PPP/PFI). In committing to a 25 year contract, Pevensey’s residents and environment have been guaranteed a consistent standard of defence until at least 2025. This approach to beach maintenance has allowed the Environment Agency and Pevensey Coastal Defence Ltd (PCDL) to develop and advance 'best practice' in provision of sea defence services. PCDL is a consortium of Boskalis Westminster Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Mackley/Van Oord. The client is the Environment Agency.
The 9km long sea defences consist primarily of a ‘natural’ shingle embankment that protects 50km2 of East Sussex from flooding. The embankment is eroded by wave action throughout the year and requires regular maintenance to ensure the required level of protection is continuously provided. Typical works include; annual beach replenishments using sea dredged aggregates, bypassing of sediment round Sovereign Harbour, beach recycling and reprofiling.
About the Role
We are looking for a high calibre Assistant Project Manager to support the Project Manager on this project. You will be used to frequent interaction with senior managers and key stakeholders, utilising strong communication, relationship building and team playing capability. Most importantly, your motivation, drive and passion for managing and delivering successful programme outcomes will win the hearts and minds of customers and colleagues alike.
You’re someone who brings big ideas and solves complex problems with simple and elegant solutions. You’re able to drive programme change and be adaptable in new environments. You continuously champion high performance, challenge the status quo, actively seek out different perspectives and are not afraid to speak up.
Although this role is primarily land based, we welcome applications from all project management backgrounds. As well as working on some of the most high-profile projects, as a Boskalis employee, we also offer a supportive work environment where innovation is at the heart of what we do.
- The successful applicant will represent PCDL as well as the interests of the individual shareholders
- Assisting with the successful delivery of the project within agreed timescales and budgets and to the specified quality
- Engaging with local residents, parish, district and county councillors and other stakeholders
- Works are carried out under Environment Agency permissive powers and on privately owned land, so the interests of the Agency must be considered at all times
- Works are mainly required as a direct response to storms/wave action, so the role will at times require out-of-hours and weekend working
- During severe storms the role encompasses a Duty Officer position with the Environment Agency’s Flood Incident Management system. On these occasions, the applicant must be;
- contactable at all times
- able to be on site within one hour of notification
- up-to-date on predicted weather conditions, and
- aware of the current state of the beach
- Liaison with subcontractors providing beach machines so that;
- appropriate plant is provided as required
- operatives are competent for machines being operated
- they are aware of the work that is required, and
- appropriate records are kept for monitoring and payment purposes
- Undertake monthly beach surveys, which quantify works required to keep the defences in their required state
- Monthly reporting to the client
- Review and amend project documentation, for example the Construction Phase Plan, Environment and Beach Management Plans, Sustainability Action Plan
- Process invoices for payment and maintain annual budget forecasts
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays; (with the option to buy more holiday).
- Company car.
- Employer minimum contribution is 8.5% with employee contribution being 0.5%. Life insurance; We offer a flexible benefits package which includes - critical illness insurance, dental insurance, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts.
- Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities.
Salary - £30-£35K
Boskalis Westminster is a subsidiary of Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V., one of the world's largest dredging groups. Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V. is a leading global dredging and marine expert providing services to the dredging, inland infra and energy offshore sectors.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to:
4 Crompton Way